Senator Menendez and Congressman Pallone held a press conference, with George Kasimos from StopFemaNow , to lay out proposed sweeping reforms to address the waste, abuse and mismanagement plaguing the NFIP program.
The Senator and Congressman sent a powerful message on how committed they are about NFIP/FEMA reform when they not only have Mr. Kasimos at the press Conference but then subsequently tweet and facebook him.
Senator Menendez and Congressman Pallone are pushing these reforms in the SAFE NFIP Act (Flood Insurance Bill);
- STOP FEMA / NFIP from raising premiums more than 10% (currently the increases cap out at 37% – see pic below)
- STOP FEMA / NFIP from fraudulently denying and underpaying claims
- STOP FEMA / NFIP from implementing inaccurate flood maps
- STOP FEMA / NFIP from overpaying WYO’s and lower commissions
- STOP FEMA / NFIP allowing contractor profiteering
- STOP FEMA / NFIP from implementing erroneous flood maps
- STOP FEMA / NFIP from continually being an unsustainable program.
- STOP FEMA / NFIP from paying $400 million in debt service
- STOP FEMA / NFIP from agency mismanagement and fraud
- Raise ICC to $100,000 per home to be used pre-disaster
- Creates investments in pre-disaster flood control and mitigation efforts
- Increases oversight and transparency of the flood insurance companies
- Increase the low participation rates in the NFIP program
- Increase funding, by billions, to mitigate communities BEFORE THEY FLOOD
In June, Sen. Menendez introduced comprehensive, bipartisan legislation, cosponsored by nearly a dozen Republicans and Democrats ( The bipartisan Senate bill led by Sens. Menendez and John Kennedy (R-La.) is cosponsored by Booker, Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.), Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) Thad Cochran (R-Miss), Bill Nelson (D-Fla.), Bill Cassidy (R-La.) and Jack Reed (D-R.I.). The bipartisan House bill is cosponsored by Reps. Pallone, Pascrell, Albio Sires (D-N.J.-08), Bonnie Watson Coleman (D-N.J,-12), Donald M. Payne, Jr. (D-N.J,-10), Mike Johnson (R-La.), Gregg Harper (R-Miss.-3), Steven Palazzo (R-Miss.-4), Charlie Christ (D-Fla.-13), Carlos Curbelo (D-Fla.-26), Alcee Hastings (D-Fla.-20), and Clay Higgins (R-La.-3).
The Sustainable, Affordable, Fair, and Efficient (SAFE) National Flood Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of 2017 tackles systemic problems with flood insurance, puts it back on solid fiscal ground, and reframes our nation’s entire disaster paradigm to one that focuses more on prevention and mitigation to spare the high cost of rebuilding after flood disasters.
It is critical for all flood policyholders and advocates to contact their congressmen and Senators and demand they support the SAFE National Flood Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of 2017. Otherwise this bill will get “watered down” as it works its way through the house and senate.
If you are an advocate and would like to join us to lobby Congress, please join us in Washington, DC on September 12 – 13, additional information is here.
Please join us in a conversation about this and other Flood Insurance issues https://www.facebook.com/groups/StopFemaNowNJ/
Please share this email to fellow flood policy holders and elected officials in your community.
Join our Facebook Page and Facebook Group , Follow and Retweet us on Twitter . Join our YouTube Channel.
Sign up for our Emails and Newsletter
Like this article? Chip in $5